Make Your Bed
From Make Your Bed: Small Things That Can Change Your Life … and Maybe the World by William H McRaven
- Start off by making your bed
Get the day off to a good start.
- Find someone to help you paddle
Trust your team - value team work
- Measure a person by the size of their heart
Just because you are small, it doesn't mean you are a failure.
- Get over being a sugar cookie
A sugar cookie is when a Seal recruit is sent into the ocean then has to roll around in the sand until fully covered. Life is unfair - get over it.
- Don’t be afraid of the Circus
The Circus was a brutal session of callisthenics that broke many SEAL recruits because they were afraid of it. The Circus is a struggle, but it makes you stronger getting through it.
- Be prepared to jump
Be willing to take risks
- Don’t back down from the sharks
Life can be scary, but find a way to swim through the sharks.
- Be your very best in the darkest moments
Always be the very best you can be, especially when it is tough.
- Start singing when you are up to your neck in mud
Singing helped to keep spirits up when covered in mud. Being in a choir (team) gives you hope.
- Don’t ever ring the bell
A bell exists for SEAL recruits to ring to signify they want to give up. Don't ring it.